1. An English voice-over and updated version of Raise the Umbrellas is completed in 2018. Meanwhile, scheduled screenings include NYU on February 21, Pomona College on February 28, UCLA on March 1, SOAS University of London on March 16, UC-Santa Barbara on May 30, and the Berlin Literature Festival on September 8. [return to text]
2. See Sebastian Veg, “Legalistic and Utopian: Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement.” New Left Review 92, March-April 2015, pp. 55-73.
5. [Kwok], Lenny. “WTO Protests, Place-based Democracy, Tiananmen & 7-Chinas: The Arif Dirlik Interview,” Blackbird: Body of Work 1984-2004. Hong Kong: Ming Pao Weekly, 2007. See also, Arif Dirlik’s August/September 2016 paper
6. Arif Dirlik's e-mail to Evans Chan, July 10, 2017
8. Umbrella Movement images by P H Yang, as used by Evans Chan in the movie Raise the Umbrellas. Photos courtesy of P H Yang Photography, phyang.organd http://phyang.org/ . [return to page 1. return to page 2]